July 24, 2016

Trump Wins?

If you haven't read Michael Moore's recent op-ed you should. He lays out his reasons why Trump will win the election. I agree with Moore's reasons and as much as the idea disgusts me, I think Trump can/will win the election. I will get no satisfaction out of saying I told you so. I have watched Americans vote for bigots, racists, crooks, liars, and worse for president. A Trump win will not surprise me, just depress me.
I can think of worse people who have already been president, of course, we don't know just how bad Trump could get. There are worse things than being a racist, vulgar, tyrant, and leader of the United States.
Trump has gotten his way in everything in life. It will be interesting to watch him be told no by Congress, just like every other president. And like other presidents, he will just blame Congress and then go golfing.
Every president has his character tested when making decisions for the country. Trump's test will be how much patience he has.
 It will be interesting and fun to watch a president Trump get the obstructionist treatment Obama has been getting from Congress.
I will be waiting to see if Congress will pass spending for his multi-trillion dollar plans. I certainly can't wait to hear what the president of Mexico says when Trump asks him for 10's of billions of dollars to build a wall.
If the founding fathers showed us anything, it's that one can be a vulgar racist and still do good things. Of course the founders were truly geniuses; I'm afraid Mr. Trump is handicapped in that area.
The simple answer to Mr. Moore's reason for a Trump win, is a large Democratic voter turnout. During the primaries Democratic voter turnout was down, even with Bernie getting millions of voters out to vote.

3 comments:

ModeratePoli said...

@Luke, I've seen so many predictions not based on hard polling that were wrong, wrong, wrong. Also, this isn't a good time to poll yet.

That said, some of Moore's thinking is sound. Trump has appeal on levels that Hillary won't. The Dems registration drives and GOTV operations will be very important. It might be a nail-biter. Or Trump may finally say something that's so clearly crazy that he'll lose big. Or maybe Hillary will sink and founder. It's hard to say with two such unpopular candidates.

Paul said...

ModeratePoli,
Thanks for stopping by.
Anyone can make a mistake that might endanger their chances at the voting booth. I think Trump is much more apt to do that. Hillary dodged the bullet when no charges were filed against her on the email investigation.
It's depressing that Trump is even this close to the White House. I'm not a Hillary fan, but with Trump as the other choice, I will be voting for Hillary. I would hope most Americans would think the same, but past votes by Americans gives me no confidence.
I like reading people who have far better knowledge on these issues than myself. I can learn much from reading you, but expect my John Doe opinions. Thanks for commenting.

ModeratePoli said...

Don't worry about John Doe opinion--I like them! I like any opinions that are heart-felt and not just a rehash of talking points... except maybe for paranoid fantasies. Those are kind of unsettling.

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is on. Your comment will be posted after approval.